What is a Grease Interceptor?
A grease interceptor is a device used in food preparation areas for the pre-treatment of waste water.
A grease interceptor is also known as a grease trap, grease arrestor, triple interceptor or trade waste tank.
Grease interceptors are installed in-line between a kitchen sink and the sewer. A grease interceptor has a series of internal baffles that slow the flow of warm water to allow the water to cool. As the water cools, fats and oils float to the top and solid waste falls to the bottom. As a result, cooler cleaner water flows out to the sewer.
Size (Capacity) Options
Viking Plastics fabricates and supplies grease interceptors in standard and customs sizes.
- Above ground: 100 – 10,000 litres
- Below ground: 600 – 10,000 litres
Where there are space limitations, an equivalent capacity grease trap can be custom made to fit the available space.
Viking Plastics has the technology and expertise to fabricate over-sized mega plastic tanks to almost any specification.
A grease interceptor must be installed by a licensed plumber. The plumber can provide advise regarding the best hydraulic design, venting and backflow prevention. The plumber will supply a Certificate of Compliance for their work, which will be required by the local water authority.
All Viking Plastics products are supplied with comprehensive installation guidelines.
Tank Construction Options
Tanks construction options include Thin-Skin and Paneltim®.
- Above Ground Thin Skin grease interceptors over 250 litres are fabricated from robust 6mm polypropylene. The tanks are also fitted with an external 50x50mm galvanised steel tube support frame for long lasting sturdiness.
- Below Ground Thin Skin tanks must be surrounded with concrete walls a minimum of 100mm thick. Below Ground Thin Skin tanks have full height keying strips to ensure the plastic tank walls bind to the poured concrete.
Paneltim® is an innovative 50mm thick, dual skin, light weight sandwich panel with an internal cross-rib cell structure that offers superior strength and rigidity. Paneltim® tanks:
- are self-supporting
- do not require an external steel support frame
- are UV stabilised for long life
- do not need to be back-filled with concrete thus saving time and money
Above Ground Paneltim® tanks over 2000 litres and Below Ground Paneltim® tanks are typically a more economical option than Thin Skin tanks.
Does my grease interceptor need to be approved?
Water authorities throughout Australia set the design specifications for grease interceptors. Viking Plastics’ grease interceptors are approved for use in most regions of Australia. Viking will supply the correctly designed grease arrestor for your locality. To find your local water authority, click here.
Below ground grease interceptors must be fitted with an access cover (sold separately). Access covers must be matched to the tank size and the expected load rating (pedestrian, car, heavy truck). For more information on access covers, click here.
Australia Wide Delivery
Viking Plastic’s products are fabricated in Melbourne for Australia wide delivery. Viking can arrange transport if required.
To view the full range of Viking Plastics products, visit our main site.